UNESCO City of Ghent, S.M.A.K. Museum, S.M.A.K. café, Q'Onda? vzw en el NEGOCITO Records presenteren CITADELIC @ S.M.A.K. concerts.
17 oktober 2017: niet in S.M.A.K... location tbc
G A B B R O (Marc De Maeseneer / Hanne De Backer) + SAMUEL BER
SOUNDING TEARS (Mat Maneri / Lucian Ban / Evan Parker)
public debate about freedom & improvisation (moderator Vlad Ionescu from the Universoity of Hasselt)
- Belgian baritone saxophone players Hanne De Backer and Marc De Maeseneer make music in the broadest available musical spectrum. Nevertheless, they go back for their very 1st release to the jazz and freejazz tradition and give it a personnal, contemporary and unique touch.
- American violist Mat Maneri pairs with legendary British saxophonist Evan Parker, one of Europe's avant-garde leading voices for the past 40 years, and Transylvanian expat pianist Lucian Ban, in a trio of improvisations that foreshadow jazz in the new millennium. All About Jazz noted: Over the course of a quarter century Mat Maneri has "changed the way the jazz world listens to the violin and viola". Exclusive Belgian concert!
7 november 2017
MICHAEL MOORE / ACHIM KAUFMANN
BAMBI PANG PANG (Viktor Perdieus / Laurens Smet / Seppe Gebruers) + FRANTZ LORIOT
- They play more than 25 years together. Michael Moore is internationally renowned for his beautiful tone and rich musical fantasy, which connects both tp the American tradition and the anarchy of the Amsterdam ICP Orchestra, where he is part of. Achim Kaufmann's piano play and compositions move between jazz and chamber music, with folkloristic associations.
- After their magical collaboration with Andrew Cyrille, Bambi Pang Pang, three Belgian musicians united since 2011 and Ifa Y Xango's spin-off, now invite French-Japanese violinist Frantz Loriot to share their stage. Loriot improvises in numerous international ensembles or different musical genres. Fresh work, new music to expect.
5 december 2017
FISH-SCALE SUNRISE (Ab Baars / Kaja Draksler / Joe Williamson)
GIOVANNI Di DOMENICO & ABSCHATTUNGEN (Laurent Blondieau / Quentin Manfroy / Audrey Lauro / Daniele Martini / Gregoire Tirtiaux / Marti Melia Jordi Grognard / Giotis Damianidis / Axel Gilain / Mathieu Calleja / Jakob Warmenbol / Giovanni Di Domenico)
- This trio of dutch reed player/composer Ab Baars (I.C.P.) is a unique combination of improvisers from the European avant-garde including impressive young Slovenian pianist Kaja Draksler. With Ab Baars on tenorsax, clarinet and shakuhachi they play his compositions and free group improvisations.
- Giovanni Di Domenico (collaborator of Jim O'Rourke, Arve Henriksen, ...) brought 12 top international musicians together who are all living in Brussels. The compositions of his hand were found and approved with a recording as a result. Let yourself be surprised by this brand new ensemble, for this is their premiere.
- 26 September 2017 - 17 October 2017 - 7 November 2017 - 5 December 2017
- 20 pm at SMAK-café.
- More information and reservation on the website.